CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
July 27 – August 12, 2020
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: JULY 22, 2020.
“Armenia and the World: Building A Sustainable Future” is a three-week-long summer school, which introduces participants to the main aspects of Armenia’s foreign policy.
The summer school will provide first-hand information and knowledge from policy-makers, experts, and academics on the processes and rationale behind the making of foreign policy of Armenia, as well as on the strategic environment in the South Caucasus. The Program aims to foster a deeper understanding of Armenia’s commitment to international relations, and its engagement with the diaspora as well as the Republic of Artsakh.
Themes and Speakers:
- MONDAY, JULY 27:
- Opening speech – Armen Darbinian (Rector of the Russian-Armenian University)
- Armenia in the Global Affairs (Speaker TBD)
- TUESDAY, JULY 28:
- Introduction to the Armenian Foreign Policy: Strategies and Priorities (Speaker TBD)
- Who could lead the next global hegemony? Comparing the chances of America, China, Europe, Russia – Georgi Derluguian (Professor of Social Research and Public Policy at the New York University, Abu Dhabi)
- WEDNESDAY, JULY 29:
- Protracted conflicts in the South Caucasus: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and modern Azerbaijan – David Babayan (Advisor to the President of the Republic of Artsakh)
- THURSDAY, JULY 30:
- Armenia’s FP in the Middle East: Past, Present, and the Perspectives – Ruben Karapetyan (Advisor to the Armenian Minister of Foreign Affairs)
- FRIDAY, JULY 31:
- Turkey in the regional security architecture: Armenia-Turkey relations – Vahram Ter-Matevosyan (Associate Professor and Chairperson of the Department of Political Science and International Affairs at the American University of Armenia)
- MONDAY, AUGUST 3:
- Iran, Armenia, and the South Caucasus
- TUESDAY, AUGUST 4:
- Geopolitics of the South Caucasus: Understanding modern Georgia – Johnny Melikyan (Expert at Orbeli Center)
- WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 5:
- Global Powers and Armenia: Russia in the South Caucasus – Ruben Elamiryan (Chairperson of the Department of World Politics and International Relations at Russian-Armenian University)
- THURSDAY, AUGUST 6:
- Global Powers and Armenia: Mapping the US foreign policy priorities – Eduard Abrahamyan (Assistant to the President of the Republic of Armenia)
- FRIDAY, AUGUST 7:
- Global Powers and Armenia: EU in the South Caucasus – Mane Adamyan (Advisor to the deputy Prime-Minister of the Republic of Armenia)
- MONDAY, AUGUST 10:
- Global Powers and Armenia: China, BRI, and the South Caucasus – Mher Sahakyan (Founder and Managing Director at "China-Eurasia" Council for Political and Strategic Research)
- TUESDAY, AUGUST 11:
- Armenia and Diaspora: Towards Sustainable, Secure, and Strategic Relations
- WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12:
- Armenia and the Future – Armen Darbinian (Rector of the Russian-Armenian University)
- Concluding remarks and discussion by participants
Format: The summer school will consist of online meetings (35-40 minutes lecture followed by a QA session). The organizing committee will provide the admitted participants with a Zoom access.
The program is designed for students and professionals interested in deepening their understanding of Armenia’s place in the strategic environment of the South Caucasus and the main directions of its foreign policy. We encourage applications from:
- Representatives from the Armenian Diaspora who are looking for a deeper and professional knowledge of Armenia.
- Students, young scholars and practitioners (in the fields of humanities and social sciences broadly defined), interested in the South Caucasus.
Participants will receive certificates of completion as well as 3 academic credits from the Russian-Armenian University (upon demand). Successful applicants will receive a confirmation email on 23 July 2020.
In order to increase efficiency and work with targeted groups places are limited.
Venue and Time: Yerevan, Armenia (online; GMT+4)
Dates: July 27 – August 12, 2020
Participation Cost: AMD 48,500.00 (USD 100), excluding international transfer/wire fees.
Full and partial fee waivers are available. We will ensure that no applicant (with strong credentials) is left out because of financial considerations.
In case you need a waiver, please mention it at the bottom of the motivation letter.
Please submit your application (including CV and a motivation letter of no more than one page each) through the following form:
In case of any issue and/or inquiry please contact us directly at email@example.com